Garage doors are often used as an entry door and get a lot of use. A garage door can be expected to last 10-15 years, depending on maintenance, original materials, climate and use. Some general guidelines on when and why to replace a door are:
- Two or more sections are damaged. Replacement sections, if they are available, often cost nearly as much as a new door.
- Door sections have structural damage such as dents, rust, rot, delamination, or sections will not hold fasteners and hinges.
- The door is 10-20 or more years old. Repairs may not be cost-effective.
- You have a wood door, and the wood is water-logged, rotting, or the sections are sagging.
- An insulated door is absorbing water.
- The door’s appearance is not what it used to be.
- The track, shaft and other components are in poor shape.
- You have an older door that is not energy efficient or lacks current safety devices.
If you are unsure whether your door can be repaired or needs to be replaced, give us a call at 907-746-3900. We can make recommendations and help you with your decision.